
The Southern Transitional Council denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
The conflicting statements highlight a split in the STC, a group backed by the United Arab Emirates that seized parts of southern and eastern Yemen in December in advances that heightened tensions with another Gulf power, Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE used to work together in a coalition battling the Iranian-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis, in Yemen's civil war, but the STC advances exposed their rivalry, bringing into focus big differences on a wide range of issues across the Middle East, ranging from geopolitics to oil output.
Saudi-backed forces retake STC seized land
Saudi-backed fighters have largely retaken the areas of southern and eastern Yemen that the STC seized, and an STC delegation has traveled to the Saudi capital Riyadh for talks.
But STC leader Aidarous al-Zubaidi skipped the planned meetings and fled Yemen on Wednesday, and the Saudi-led coalition accused the UAE of helping him escape on a flight that was tracked to a military airport in Abu Dhabi.
In an announcement broadcast on Saudi state media on Friday, one of the group's members said the STC had decided to disband.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the STC said it had held an "extraordinary meeting" following the announcement in Riyadh and declared it "null and void," saying it had been made "under coercion and pressure."
The group also said its members in Riyadh had been detained and were being "forced to issue statements."
The STC reiterated calls for mass protests in southern cities on Saturday, warning against any attempts that target the group's "peaceful activities."
Authorities in Aden that are aligned with Yemen's Saudi-backed government on Friday ordered a ban on demonstrations in the southern city, citing security concerns, according to an official directive seen by Reuters.
latest_posts
- 1
Factbox-China's crewed lunar programme eyes astronaut landing by 2030 - 2
6 Eyewear Brands Worth Purchasing - 3
7 Fun Plans to Make Film Evenings Seriously Energizing (You'll Cherish #5!) - 4
Israel intensifies Lebanon attacks and hits areas not in Hezbollah's control - 5
Most loved Seared Chicken: Which Chain Rules?
How mountain terraces have helped Indigenous peoples live with climate uncertainty
Desired Travel Objections Worldwide: Where to Go Straightaway
Lightning on Jupiter could be up to 1 million times stronger than on Earth
Tesla Stock Hasn’t Looked This Cheap in a While
Have gravitational waves provided the first hint of primordial black holes born during the Big Bang?
Banks for High Fixed Store Rates: Augment Your Investment funds
Instructions to Clean and Really focus on Your Lab Precious stone
Everyday Seasonal Positions That Compensate Fairly in the US
NASA begins fueling rocket to launch astronauts on the first lunar trip in half a century













