
Three United Nations experts have called for an independent and thorough investigation into Israel’s recent killing of three journalists in Lebanon, denouncing the deadly incident as “another egregious attack on press freedom by Israeli forces”.
UN special rapporteurs Irene Khan, Morris Tidball-Binz and Ben Saul on Thursday noted that “journalists carrying out their professional duties in armed conflict are civilians and must not be targeted or made the object of attack”.
“The deliberate killing of journalists not directly participating in hostilities constitutes a serious violation of international human rights and humanitarian law and a war crime,” they said in a statement.
The Israeli military killed Al Mayadeen journalist Fatima Ftouni, her brother, freelance photojournalist Mohamad Ftouni, and Al-Manar’s Ali Shoaib in a targeted strike on their car in southern Lebanon on March 28.
Al Mayadeen and Al-Manar are pro-Hezbollah media outlets, and Israel accused Shoaib – without presenting any evidence – of being a fighter with the Lebanese armed group.
That claim was rejected by Shoaib’s colleagues as well as by the UN experts, who on Thursday also stressed that working for media outlets affiliated with an armed group does not mean journalists are directly participating in hostilities under international law.
“Israeli officials know this, yet they choose to ignore it – emboldened by impunity for their previous killings of journalists in Lebanon, Gaza and the West Bank,” they said.
In February, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) reported that Israel was responsible for two-thirds of all killings of journalists in 2024 and 2025.
More than 60 percent of the 86 members of the press killed by Israeli fire last year were Palestinian journalists reporting from the Gaza Strip amid Israel’s genocidal war in the coastal enclave, the advocacy group found.
After the killings in southern Lebanon last week, CPJ’s Middle East director Sara Qudah also warned that Lebanon is becoming “an increasingly deadly zone for journalists, despite their status as civilians who must not be targeted”.
“We have seen a disturbing pattern in this war and in the decades prior of Israel accusing journalists of being active combatants and terrorists without providing credible evidence,” Qudah said in a statement.
“Journalists are not legitimate targets, regardless of the outlet they work for.”
The UN experts also warned that Israel’s killing of Lebanese journalists is part of “an abominable push … to silence reporting on Israel’s current military action in Lebanon, and shut down news coverage of war crimes committed, just as it did in Gaza”.
At least 1,345 people have been killed and 4,040 wounded in intensified Israeli attacks across Lebanon since early March, according to the Lebanese Ministry of Health.
latest_posts
- 1
Favored Chinese Dish: Make Your Determination - 2
Building a Maintainable Closet: Individual Excursions in Moral Style - 3
The most effective method to Alter Your Savvy Bed for A definitive Rest Insight - 4
'All Her Fault' ending explained: The shocking conclusion to the psychological thriller inspired by true events - 5
IndiGo lands IATA chief Willie Walsh as new CEO
The most effective method to Connect Successfully with Teachers in a Web based Setting
Here's what can happen if you drive under the influence of pot
Fiber is something most people could use more of. But experts advise caution with 'fibermaxxing'
Vacation destinations in America
Defense Minister Katz moves to extend IDF service to 36 months
Dark matter obeys gravity after all — could that rule out a 5th fundamental force in the universe?
Hidden Island Cameras Capture Rare Tasmanian Species for the First Time Ever
Oldest evidence of human fire-making discovered at site in England
23 Most Amusing Messages At any point Sent Among Youngsters and Their Folks













